Policy for Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things this implies a duty to value all people as having the Holy Spirit within them and therefore to protect them from harm.
We are committed to:
- The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and all adults;
- The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults when they are vulnerable;
- The establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where there is “informed vigilance” as to the dangers of abuse
To this end:
- We will carefully select, supervise and train all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with Safer Recruitment principles, including the use of criminal records disclosures and registration/membership of the relevant vetting and barring schemes.
- We will respond without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
- We will seek to work with anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with him or her an appropriate ministry of informed pastoral care.
- We will challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision, and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
In all these principles we will follow legislation, guidance and recognised good practice.
We follow the policies adopted by the Church of England and Diocese of Lincoln.
Please visit the Church of England website to find out more about national policy.
Should you have any concerns, please contact the Diocesan Safeguarding team full contact details can be found here.