Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated
Bishop Remigius passes away
Lincoln Cathedral is ravaged by a great fire
According to historian Peter Kidson, the fire was more likely to have taken place in 1124 rather than 1141.
An earthquake causes damage
The Cathedral was partially destroyed by an earthquake, leaving only the West Front which can still be seen today. There were also smaller earthquakes in 1990 and 2008, but these only shook the Cathedral slightly.
Hugh of Avalon accepts post
Hugh becomes the Bishop of Lincoln and begins to organise the rebuild of the Cathedral after the shock earthquake.
The Morning Chapel build begins
Bishop Hugh passes away
On the 17 November, Bishop Hugh of Lincoln passes away in his mid seventies due to an unknown illness.
The Chapter House build begins
The Dean’s Eye window is installed
Between 1220 and 1235, the Dean’s Eye window is installed and faces the north where it was believed that evil came from. It is said to tell of the last judgement.
Bishop Hugh is canonised as a saint
The Central Tower collapses
This is thought to be due to most of the work on the building of the Cathedral being experimental.
The Galilee Porch is built
This was built for a more regal entrance for the Bishop’s ceremonial procession. The name ‘Galilee’ comes from the phrase ‘go before you into Galilee’ which was used in the Holy Week ceremonial procession.
The petition to extend Lincoln Cathedral is agreed
Henry III approves a petition by the Dean and Chapter to take down part of the Roman city wall in order to extend the Cathedral.
The building of the Angel Choir begins
After the license was granted, the build began. It was eventually finished in 1280, ready for its dedication.
The dedication of the Angel Choir
Cathedral Cloisters are built
The Cloisters were never necessary but nevertheless were built in 1295.
The parapets around the roof are added
During the 14th century, the parapets were added but there are no records to indicate a definitive date for this.
The Central Tower is replaced
Replaced with a tower and a spire, it made Lincoln Cathedral the tallest building in the world for 238 years, at 160m! It was completed in 1311.
The ‘Apprentice Wall’ is created
The screen wall of the Choristers’ Vestry is also known as the ‘Apprentice Wall’ by some. It is believed that the apprentice stonemasons carved the panels on this wall but there is no concrete evidence for this.
The Slype is built
The Slype is the enclosed passageway that joins the main body of the Cathedral to the Cloisters and the Chapter House. The doorway to the north east transept did not fit within the passageway originally, so another arch was built.
The Misericords are installed
Also known as ‘Mercy Seats’, the Misericords were designed to aid the old and frail by making it appear as though they were standing when in fact they were sat down rested during a service. They are dated between 1365 and 1370.
The western towers are raised by 200 feet
This was due to the addition of two belfries.
The Medieval Library is built
The Central Tower spire is blown down
A raging storm caused the Central Tower spire to collapse and destroy a large section of the north east transept roof in the process.
Cromwell’s forces cause damage to Lincoln Cathedral
During the English Civil War, Cromwell and his men caused damage to the Cathedral during their siege on Lincoln.
Honywood is installed as Dean of Lincoln Cathedral
The Wren Library build begins
The building of the Wren Library, designed by Sir Christopher Wren, began in 1674 and finished around 1676.
Part of the Cloisters is demolished to make room
The Cloisters were described as ‘ruinous’, and so were partially demolished in order to make space for the Wren library instead.
The roof of the Chapter House is redesigned
As the roof was described as ‘greatly decayed’, it was reduced by James Essex to a design which resembled a helmet. However, the original design was reintroduced in 1800, this time with new timber frames.
Part of the Medieval Library is removed
Part of the Medieval Library extending over the Cloister was removed, perhaps due to the extra weight causing structural problems.
The West Tower spires are removed
It was believed that the towers were endangered by their own weight, which is why the spires were removed. In 1724, James Gibbs advised that the spires be removed due to these structural problems. This advice was not taken up until 1807, after the people of Lincoln rioted.
The ‘Great Tom’ bell is lifted into the Central Tower
Two more bells are added to the Central Tower
An additional two bells were given by Mrs Seeley and Mr Nathaniel Clayton, which served the purpose of ringing every quarter of an hour.
The Father Willis Organ is installed
The Ringers’ Chapel is restored
The Soldiers’ Chapel is allotted space in the Cathedral
All the memorials to soldiers placed within the Cathedral were moved to the Chapel, and this project was supported by a public subscription.
The Seamen’s Chapel is restored and rededicated
The Chapel was further refurbished in 1951 with various new items of furniture. A few years later, four long kneelers were designed and placed within the Chapel in 1963.
The Angel Choir encounters structural problems
In May 1935, pieces of stone began to crumble and fall from the vault of the Angel Choir. When examined further, the vault was found to be opening up and moving outwards.
The Airmen’s Chapel is refurbished
Memorial Books of No.1 and No.5 Groups Bomber Command were placed in the Chapel in 1949 also, which contained no fewer than 21,000 names.
The Treasury is established
The 100th anniversary of the Father Willis Organ
To celebrate this, the organ was further restored, funded by an Organ Appeal.
Filming for ‘The Da Vinci Code’
The final scenes of the film were shot within the Chapter House.
Filming for ‘The Young Victoria’
Filming began in August 2007, with the scenes shot at the Cathedral taking place over the months of September and October.
Reconstruction work begins on the North West Turret
The Blessed Virgin Mary statue is installed
Lincoln Cathedral Connected Team are earmarked £12.4 million by HLF
Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) earmarked millions to the Connected Team to:
- Landscape of the West Front and Dean’s Green to create calm and prayerful public spaces
- Renewing the floodlights
- Conservation of Exchequergate Arch
- Conservation of the West Front centre niche, Gallery of Kings and Romanesque Frieze
- Creation of new visitor facilities (shop, cafe, toilets, changing places room) and an Interpretation Centre